I like to be happy, you like to be happy, we all like happiness. (Actually, I’ve come across people who seem to like to not be happy, but that’s kind of besides the point because I have no idea why and I bet you don’t either.) Anyway, I do, just like the majority of human beings. I’ve written lists about things that make me happy (<— that was so long ago!) before, and also, I have a bucket list that is ever-so-cleverly referred to as my Happy List, but this is more about doing things to achieve happiness. After all, we pursue happiness, and, cliche as it may be, we all know that happiness is a choice, at least 94.73% of the time for 94.73% of people. So, here are some things that I do that are constantly making me joyful.
- Pursue a relationship with Jesus.
- “All sunshine and sovereign is God, generous in gifts and glory.” -Psalm 84:11
- “Behold, God, my salvation! I will trust and not be afraid, for the Lord God is my strength and song; yes, He has become my salvation. Therefore with joy will you draw water from the wells of salvation.” -Isaiah 12:2-3
- “You have made known to me the ways of life; You will enrapture me [diffusing my soul with joy] with and in Your presence.” -Acts 2:28
- Avoid cold showers and mud puddles.You can fill in your own blanks, but these are two things that can seriously put me in a bad mood.
- When you think you might regret something you’re about to say or do, walk into another room. You might change your mind, you might not. I don’t buy into the whole no-regrets thing- hey, I’ve hurt people for no good reason! Not cool!- so this helps me bite my tongue or realize that I don’t really want a tattoo or just calm the heck down. Or take a nap or draw a picture or hang out in downward dog long enough that you get woozy and forget about all of it. There are lots of things to do in your room that don’t hurt anyone’s feelings or shock your parents. (Sometimes I don’t do this.) (I still say things all the time that I shouldn’t.) (I should really take my own advice.)
- Listen to music. If music isn’t making you happy, you’re listening to the wrong kind. Shoot me an email. I can help. Furthermore, DANCE!
- Drink coffee. Or whatever it is that makes your smile. (I just recommend the coffee.) It’s this beautiful thing that lets you personalize it until you have your own little cup of liquid-y, steamy heaven. And I promise I will not judge you if you latte it up all the time. Black coffee does not equal cool. If it’s not coffee, let yourself drink OJ or whatever. I am not advocating alcoholism. I don’t need any lawsuits on my hands here.
- Be friendly. I’m serious. Fake it, if you want. But smile at people, hold the door, thank the barista when you order that latte. It’s a surefire way to make friends and people with friends are happy, right? And you get the benefit of a support system when things go downhill, which means you’ll be back to happy in no time at all. This isn’t an exact formula, though. Play around with it a little bit.
- Smell some flowers, play with a kitten, stand on a mountain- understand the whole thing is bigger than you, there are people who wish they had your life, and that this is all you’re going to get, so why not let yourself be happy?
But then again, what do I know?